Emotional Wellness – Maintaining that positive outlook
Emotional Wellness is about awareness and understanding of your emotions and how well you manage your emotions and adapt to the challenges in your day to day life.
When you wake up to a new day it is totally up to “you” to decide how you want your day to be. You can either give in to your emotions, sympathize with yourself and start the day on a sorrowful note, or you can completely ignore the challenges and focus more on positive aspects of life and start your day with a bright smile. And remember, the smile which radiates from you changes the mood of all those surrounds you. So, what you see in the world around you reflect who you are.
So it is all about our ability to feel and accept those human emotions, ability to share and do each day activities without any stress and feeling sense of achievement.
Before we lookout for signs of emotional wellness, let’s ponder on some of these questions to ascertain emotional wellness
- What is your purpose in life? Everyone is born with a purpose. Don’t believe than keep your palm on your chest and feel the heartbeat. You can hear it then you should believe there is a purpose for you being alive. The person who is emotionally stable will be having a broader view of life. Their philosophy of life will keep them motivated enough to pursue their purpose for life.
- Are you happy as a person? If you have high self-esteem (respect & admiration) and high self-efficacy (ability to produce the desired result) then naturally, you will have a good concept of your self which will make you happy for the person you are or vice versa. Emotionally stable persons are also not afraid of exploring various options available in different situations because they have a good self-concept. They are not rigid in their decision making and they are open to changes.
- How do you engage with others? If you are emotionally stable than you will not feel under-confident or threaten by others in your life. So, you will have a good relationship with all personally and professionally. Everything is linked to you. You are the key factor in determining the perfect balance. And if that is maintained then you have lots of people to be grateful who made you the person you are so proud of. So, emotionally healthy persons are always grateful and full of gratitude for all that they are achieving.
- How do you manage your stress? Everyone will be having some stress or issues at some point in time. People adapt to a different way and means to remain emotionally stable and maintain the balance in life effectively. Some could be just listening to music, some watch movies, some go for the spree of shopping experiences, some go visit their friends, some eat or cook their favourite ways, etc to relax and maintain the stability.
Signs of Emotional Wellness – As we have pondered through different questions to ascertain emotional wellness, now let’s also look at the various obvious signs of emotional wellness.. Persons with a good state of emotional wellness will clearly show these signs
- Will feel good about themselves and show High Self-Esteem
- In control of emotions, such as fear, anger, love, jealousy, guilt, or anxiety.
- A personal relationship will be long-lasting and satisfying.
- Comfortable and confident while engaging with other people.
- They have respect for themselves and for others even if there are differences.
- Accept life’s disappointments and won’t go in depression.
- Meet life’s demands and handle problems easily as and when they arise.
- Ability to connect with others about emotional concerns and share feelings with others.
- Ability to make decisions and say “no” when you need to and without feeling guilty.
- Feel content most of the time and open to healthy criticism
- Feel good about the strong support system i.e. people in your life that care about you
Strategies to achieve that Emotional Wellness.
Emotions are part and parcel of all human being daily life, the success lies in maintaining the balance and leading our life effectively. There are many strategies that we can follow to manage our emotions. It could vary depending on different persons, genders and situations. Here are a few strategies that can be helpful in improving the emotional wellbeing
- Be Aware of yourself: Maintain a small diary, record all the daily activities and emotions and at the end of the day, you can reflect upon them. Think about what you could have done differently or how could have managed your emotions in that particular day. No comparison with others, only comparison with your own self from the person you were yesterday to the better person you want to be today.
- Manage Stress: It is a very broad and important aspect of Emotional well-being. Here are a few tips to reduce your stress –
- Take sufficient rest and ensure good sound sleep.
- Listen to good and soothing music.
- Watch a good movie for your favourite genre.
- Indulge in your favourite food some times.
- Go meet your friends or families and do activities together which will relax you.
- Read a nice book, which interests you and help you to be in a relaxing mode.
- Take a break from your hectic life and slow down;
- Pack your bags, go for a picnic ; watch the beautiful scenic views right in front of you.
- Meditate and do some relaxing exercises,
- Talk to your inner self and you will find that person is very interesting.
- Stop procrastination and manage your time effectively
- Maintain Positive outlook: Always try to be positive and optimistic in all the situations. Because Positiveness attracts a positive vibe which will help you to be able to solve or deal with any issues with a wide smile.
There will be more and more ways which you will find helpful to relax and manage your stress and experience that emotional wellness. You should have the courage to Just be yourself, to speak out your thoughts and to claim your emotions and realize that you are a wonderful person. And when we all try to maintain emotional wellness, this world become a happier place to live for all. so what are we waiting for, let’s start now making our own efforts and make this world a happier place?